Committees and Members
Mission / Outreach
Mission / Outreach – Chair: Carol Wortham
The Mission and Outreach Committee of Woodhaven Presbyterian Church coordinates work of the church at local, national and international levels. We seek opportunities to serve both physical and spiritual needs for people right here in Irving, and as far away as the Philippines, and welcome your participation!
Local Outreach includes service to the Irving community through annual events and partnership programs for children, families and the elderly:
- We collect monthly cash donations during worship, and also fill the bed of a pickup truck with food pantry items several times a year for Irving Cares. Irvingcares.org was founded over 60 years ago, and provides focused assistance to Irving residents in financial crisis.
- Woodhaven participates as a host church with Family Promise of Irving, providing meals and overnight accommodations to children and their parents who need a safe space while in transition. We partner with other area churches, and host families’ weeklong stays once per quarter. familypromiseirving.org
- For those experiencing loss of a loved one, a Faith and Grief group meets on third Saturdays to provide comfort and hope. More information and registration is found at faithandgrief.org
- Holiday celebrations at the church, such as Easter Egg Hunts and Halloween Trunk-or-Treat, bring children and families onsite for fun activities and treats. In February, we send the love out to our elderly citizens with deliveries of personal care items and sweets.
- The start of school means it’s time to stuff “Supplies for Success” backpacks for Irving ISD. We help every student start the year with pride and tools for success.
- Young students, ages 6 -13, are welcome to become part of the Makers Movement – a national, STEM-focused, robotics education program developed by engineers, scientists and the toymaker LEGO. The children and their adult coaches meet after school once-a-week, to build their robots and have fun practicing skills for friendly competitions. We meet at tournaments sponsored by firstinspires.org
- Church members support the local Meals on Wheels program, to deliver food for body and soul to elders and disabled persons in Dallas County/Irving. vnatexas.org/meals-on-wheels
- The Irving Family Advocacy Center, a city agency focused on domestic crime prevention and victim counseling, benefits from our care at key times of the year. We sponsor an Angel Tree for Christmas gifts to their young clients, and also set aside portions of our regular denominational giving for the IFAC. cityofirving.org/Family-Advocacy-Center